This is a satisfying salad that is easy to make ahead of time and will give you the protein and nutrients you need after a long run or bike ride this summer! I also like to make a few of these on Sunday afternoon so I have a few meals already prepared for Monday and Tuesday. For those of you who can eat a non traditional breakfast this salad is also a great way to start your day (if you can get over not having frosted flakes to start your day)!
Ingredients for 6 salads:
- 1 cup Quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups Edamame, cooked
- 1.5 cups chopped organic red pepper
- 1.5 cups chopped organic cucumber
- 1.5 cups quartered organic grape tomatoes
- 1.5 cups shredded organic carrots
- 6 cups organic spring lettuce mix
- 1/4 cup organic raw sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup organic raw pumpkin seeds
Bring 1.25 cups water to boil. Reduce the heat and add the Quinoa, stir and place the lid on the pan. Simmer until all of the water is gone and then remove from heat. Fluff with a fork and cool. Using quart jars or tall plastic containers layer the ingredients in each container starting with the Quinoa and ending with the Lettuce Mix. Sprinkle the top of each salad with a tablespoon of each seed.
Citrus Balsamic Dressing
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup citrus infused olive oil
Combine the orange juice and balsamic vinegar in the blender. Slowly pour in the olive oil and blend for a few seconds. Store refrigerated in a glass jar.