Are you looking for an energy bar that is lower in calories and added sugar for your kids? This bar might be a good option for you! I made these bars for one of the Super Teen Sunday sessions and the kids seemed to enjoy them. For a little extra kick drizzle melted chocolate on top and sprinkle with shredded coconut. Enjoy!
Combine the following dry ingredients:
- 2 cups organic gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup organic sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup organic flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup organic dried cherries
- 3/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
Combine the following wet ingredients for the date paste:
- 1/2 cup raw almond butter
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 8 large Medjool dates, cut in half and pitted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
Combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well to combine. Take two cups of the dry mixture and pulse in a food processor to create a course texture. Return back to bowl and combine with dry ingredients.
Make the date paste by blending in a high-speed blender the soaked dates and ½ cup of water until smooth. Combine with remaining wet ingredients and mix well. Add to bowl with dry ingredients and mix well until combined. Measure 80 gram serving sizes and use a rectangle mold to press the mixture into a bar. Place the shaped bars on a drying rack and dry at 105 degrees for 2 hours. Store bars in refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze until you are ready to use them.